The group incorporated as The Lee County Black History Society, Inc. (LCBHS) became a 501(c)(3) non- profit corporation in November 1994. During this period, research on the Black community revealed that the building which was to become the Williams Academy Black History Museum was the 1942 addition to the Williams Academy school building.
By February, 1995, LCBHS, with community support, raised $15,000.00 to move the Williams Academy building to Roberto Clemente Park. Once the building was set up in the park, LCBHS with the help of City and County Planning offices, was able to acquire a Historic Preservation Grant In-Aid from the Florida Department of State to help restore the Williams Academy building. The restoration plan was developed by Barger & Dean Architects, Inc.
LCBHS continues to collects local histories and memorabilia throughout the community. It is building its’ archives for research availability to the public. The archives will serve as a resource base for citizens seeking historical information pertaining to Lee County Black citizens and their histories. LCBHS annually sponsors traditional, cultural and historic activities during Black History Month.